In 1835 the people of Brassington made a collection to provide a Sunday School - 170 people subscribed £133.1.9dwhich seems to have been both a Day and Sunday School as the result of an agreement with the National Society.
In 1846 the National Society made a countrywide survey. It seems that the National School was still flourishing as a Day and Sunday School. There were 40 boys and 11 girls in the day school with a paid master drawing a salary of £29.17.0 a year. The annual expenses were £34.17.1, of which the National Society paid £25.0.0.
In 1859 a Government return indicates that the same building was still in use. The salary of the teacher had risen to £31.5.0 per year, and the children paid 3d, 2d and 1d a week, probably according to age. The clergyman was meeting a deficit of about £2 in the accounts, and funds were so low that nothing was being spent on books for the children. The attendance varied from 49 to 29 and it was thought that if a grant could be obtained from the Government a more efficient school. could be created.
In 1870 a survey, as a result of the Forster Act, found a village popu1ation of 800 with a likely school popu1ation of 100. A Committee was set up to build a new school and the present building was erected and paid for by public subscription.
Masters 1872 - 1884
- D Taylor 1872 - 1874
- C H Poynton 1874 - 1875
- W Loose 1875 - 1881
- C Forshaw 1881 - 1883
- A Shenton 1883 - 1884
Masters 1885 - 1894
- T Winnall 1885 - 1894
The fact that the school was finding difficulty in raising enough money shows itself in various ways. The year 1891 was particularly bad so far as attendance was concerned, snow, illness and chores being factors.The school had been closed for the Summer holiday when haymaking started, but bad weather followed and 'Hay is not finished' was the comment. When school reopened many scholars were absent in consequence. This would have the effect of reducing the Government grant and the Committee wished to charge school fees to make up the deficit between the 'late average school fee' and the 'fee grant', but their request to charge 1d per week was reduced to 1/2d.
Lack of money made it difficult to for the Managers to carry out necessary repairs. There were reports in 1887 of nearly all the windows being broken and in 1892 of windows being covered with advertising cards, brown paper, and board of an old alphabet card. This indeedmust have been a difficult time for the school and for Mr Winnall which was to end with the school being declared inefficient and Mr Winnall being replaced by Mr W Garner.
Masters 1897 - 1915
- W Garner 1897 - 1915
In 1896 a new Infant Room was built and taken into use in April 1897. It was built as the result of a £555 loan which included new Cloakrooms, new closets, and repair of the original buillding and furnishing.
In 1899 came an event which raised great interest locally. Willie Slater marked left. Transferred to Ashbourne Grammar School by winning a County Council Scholarship
Unfortunately in February 1914 Mr Garner was taken ill and was temporarily replaced by Mr H Ward.
Masters 1914 - 1919
- H Ward 1914 - 1915
- J Jones 1915 - 1919
The "Empire" and all that it stood for in terms of "duty" and "gentlemanly values" stand out in his personality. A man who lost no opportunity to "salute the Flag" and World War 1 provided ample opportunities to have the children out in the yard for this purpose. Every major victory would be acknowledged in this way and the flag lowered to half-mast in memory of those that died. WW1 must have been uppermost in the minds of people living at this time but there are few references to show that it greatly disturbed the running of the school or the life of the village.
Unfortunately he was to be the second Master in the history of Brassington School who failed to reach retirement as a result of the influenza epedemic which had such a disastrous effect on the country following the Great War. He died on 27th February 1919. The School was taken over by Mr Sydney Smith, lately demobilised.
Masters 1919 - 1932
- P Dent 1919 - 1932
Masters 1932 - 1952
- R Baldwin 1932 - 1952
Initially the changes largely concerned the fabric of the school and as a result of its face-lift the school would have looked much as it does today both internally and externally. If the electric light was to be a modern luxury certainly the same could not be said for the plumbing. Water lavatories were not installed until 29th February 1952.
On 13th September 1939 war was declared. 36 children were evacuated from Manchester and were allocated Mis Warner's room for their use. In June 1940 a further 26 children were evacuated from Southend. In Januuary 1945 more evacuees admitted, one from Guernsey and 4 from London. Arrangements were made for scattering the children in case of an air raid alarm. The children who lived no further away than Well St would return home. The other children were allocated as follows:- Mr J Allsop's cellar - Miss Powell and 13 children, Mrs J Warner's cellar - Miss Swindell and 10 children, Mr J Oulsman's house - 9 children from Aldwark and Tithe Farm.
Milk in Schools scheme started in 1941 and in 1946 school dinners were started. In 1947 the school was closed for 8 weeks due to severe weather and lack of fuel. In 1949 all children aged 13 plus on 1st September were transferred to Wirksworth Senior Modern School. In January 1950 all 11 plus children were transferred to Wirksworth Senior School and on 4th January 1950 the School re-opened as a Junior School.
Mr Baldwin is remembered with affection by the children he taught but unfortunately he was the third Master who would not reach retirement. A school trip to Windsor Castle had been arranged, and Mr Baldwin was organizing the coaches immediately before departure when he died. Mrs May Shakeshaft-Jones(Warner) temporarily took charge.
Mistress 1952 - 1957
- Mrs M Jennings 1952 - 1957
Mistress 1957 - 1961
- Miss Pattin 1957 - 1961
Master 1961 - 1964
- Mr T Hunter 1961 - 1964
In 1963 Mr Hunter introduced new Mathematics, Reading, and Music Schemes, and shortly after this he called the first Parent/Teacher meeting.
In December 1964 Miss Walker, the last of the pupil teachers who had taught in the school for 21 years, retired.
Master 1964 - 1969
- Mr Mitchell 1964 - 1969
Master 1969 -
- Mr K B Hall 1969 -
To be continued